Sunday, October 17, 2004

77 days: Pachelbel, Pachelbel, Pachelbel

Every once in a while comes along a song that you want to describe as soul-lifting. Except that in this case, to call it a song would actually be degrading it.

It's the world's favourite wedding song I think, and I first heard it when my brother was practicing it on his violin.

Johann Pachelbel (1653-1706), German Baroque composer and organist, wrote Canon in D - what I will safely and confidently call the most beautiful song I have ever, and probably forever, heard.

It's kinda cheesy if you keep thinking about how its so popular, but this is one case whereby popularity and common-ness doesn't ruin it for me.

Three violins and one cello, building you to a blending crescendo of emotion, teasing you, drawing you in, it makes you want to drown, close your eyes, hold and suspend yourself above it all, all those things I don't even know how else to describe it.

Just go download it lah.

0 comments: