Saturday, January 29, 2005

Mary Fuckin' Poppins

The phrase above is from Sex and the City and I thought it was funny.

Been feeling a bit under the weather recently, for several reasons that I do not care to expouse upon.

But I did cave in to buy Sex and the City Season 5, after a brief mental tussle between SATC, Seinfeld and yet another season of Friends.

But I figured, I already have one Friends DVD... and I associate with SATC with certain emotions and feelings which I thought would be beneficial for me to re-experience.

I thoroughly enjoy SATC for all the reasons a fictionous television programme should be enjoyed for. Firstly, well, fiction. And indulgence in fantasies otherwise unattainable, a certain level of voyeurism and just entertainment.

But it didn't have quite the same effect as me as before, perhaps because there was no wine present and my dorm room a far cry from red velvet couches with indian ethnic rugs under my feet.

But somewhere along the way it occured to me how strange and mildly amusing it was for me to be looking for solace in fiction. It's the a common concept, flight from reality into fantasy - but why does a lie make us feel better?



Great. Now I sound just like Carrie, contemplating life's unanswerable questions in front of a fuckin' laptop.

But the answer is obvious lah. Fiction = Denial = Fantasy = Escape/Relief/Cure/Solution (albeit temporary)




Made a shopping trip of sorts to several places yesterday, although I did not truly enjoy the experience because my brain was still numb from the accidental overdose of coffee (how can two tablespoons knock me out like that) in the morning.

Went to a boutique called Aarongs clearly more suitable for expats with money to burn, a DVD shop which failed to arouse my interest and another shopping centre to look at more random merchandise.

I don't know why, being in the land of cheap DVDs, i just lost interest in watching movies. If I wanted a story, I'd rather read a book. If I wanted entertainment, I'd rather watch a mindless sitcom.

Ah hell I'm buying Seinfeld next.



And anyway, just want to say thank you to sweet 'ol Frankie in Aussieland because he's one of those who never fails try his very best to perk me up when I'm feeling out of sorts. You're such a sweetheart =) MSN can be helpful sometimes, I guess.

0 comments: