Thursday, April 07, 2005

Finally! An Answer!


I feel your leg under the table
Leaning into mine
I feel renewed
I feel disabled
By these bonfires in my spine
I don't know who the arsonist was
Which incendiary soul
But all I ever wanted
Was just to come in from the cold

- joni mitchell


I have finally found an answer to the question that has no doubt been the topic of many round table discussions involving an all-female audience.

What's good about Singaporean guys?

(As I mentioned, mostly guys, few men.)

The Answer : They're not condescending.

This is a sweeping statement of course. But it feels good to finally have reached an answer to that previously rather unanswerable question.

But yes, I think the Singaporean male species have spoilt me because I expected the same kind of basic respect from men here. But NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo...

So, everytime we get together to bitch about the kind of "variety" which we get to choose from, I shall always remind you of the one good trait they possess.


---------------------



Stagnating in office for a bit, instead of doing research for the projects i'm trying to handle. i'm not too sure what's the problem, because I finally feel as though I'm doing work, but it's not getting me anywhere.

I wonder if ST will pay if I hire a translator.

OCC clinic

After research, I've realised that this government funded One-Stop Crisis Centre in the local hospital has been covered intensively. Quite a bit of a let down professionally, since now I find my original angle extremely lacking. But it's good also, since I was quite apprehensive about doing a straight-piece on the place.

The place is so "obvious" that I really can't quite think of another angle. It's a ward in the hospital dedicated to abused children. They accept acid burn victims, sexually abused toddlers and physically abused domestic workers.

It's your basic nightmare, which was a reason why I did not want to work on it initially. Can you imagine me breaking down and crying in front of these children at their "plight"?

As i mentioned before, am I allowed to pity them if they don't pity themselves?

Lars told me I was being quite stupid in giving up such an excellent story idea, but right now it doesn't quite seem so excellent. It seems more exploitative than ever, especially after reading the reports that have been done on them. They just go in detail about how they've been tortured, how pitiful they are, how terrible their abusers are, how unfair the law is to them yadayadayada.

Surely something more can be said? But what?? No matter how I approach this story, it's impossible because these children are interesting to me for one reason, and that reason is what makes it cliche. And thus no matter how I go about doing this, i'm still turning them into "subjects" which is not what I want at all. I fear a dead end. Work on abused children has always been on "abused children". It's really quite tiring to keep seeing them as that.


---------------------


Also. Just found out today that my king of one-liners, Mitch Hedberg, died. Ah well... Comedians also can die of drug related problems, not just rockers ah.

Tribute:

"Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only one you can get yelled at for having. Goddamn it Otto, you are an alcoholic. Goddamn it Otto, you have Lupus ... one of those two doesn't sound right."

"I once saw a forklift lift a crate of forks. And it was way too literal for me."

"I wanna hang a map of the world in my house. Then I'm gonna put pins into all the locations that I've travelled to. But first, I'm gonna have to travel to the top two corners of the map so that it will not fall down."

1 comments:

Lars said...

It is stupid to give up the idea for all the same reasons that you list. I think you're right about the perspectives commonly used on the occ-clinic. But, since you're aware that reality and clich├ęs are connected :-) and want a different perspective, wouldn't you be the right one for the job. You're aware of the alternative. If the fact that the pasients are abused, is not the most important thing there. What is? When I was there the women almost tried to chat me up. It was definetly not just a place for sorrow and misery. There's a lot of humor there, but it will not get you nor their cause any limelight - I think. Maybe you could try? Better that they are some kind of subjects, than objects? As long as you don't say that all they are is what you portray them to be.Your own sob story when visiting the place included. You might even have a fun time, bizarely enough.