Sunday, January 13, 2008

Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so.

I've always enjoyed the idiosyncrasies of the English language, although I never made an effort to study it properly and I never bothered about grammar in my life. Shouldn't come as a surprise then, that all my essays, or "compositions" as we called them then, in primary/secondary school were constantly marked down because of errors in spelling and grammar.

But since I had to do a fair bit of research into this unfamiliar territory for my English classes (a great source of mirth for Arjun, who enjoys telling people I am an English teacher who doesn't understand grammar) - I gotta admit this is turning out to be seriously fun stuff.

The highlight of the week was coming across this article in Wired:

Very Short Stories
33 Writers, 5 Designers, 6-word Science Fiction.

We'll be brief: Hemingway once wrote a story in just six words ("For sale: baby shoes, never worn.") and is said to have called it his best work. So we asked sci-fi, fantasy, and horror writers from the realms of books, TV, movies, and games to take a shot themselves.

Dozens of our favorite auteurs put their words to paper, and five master graphic designers took them to the drawing board. Sure, Arthur C. Clarke refused to trim his ("God said, 'Cancel Program GENESIS.' The universe ceased to exist."), but the rest are concise masterpieces.


The title of this blog is taken from one of the entries, written by The Dude Whose Existence/Craft Made My Life More Beautiful.

Speaking of dudes... why, hello there James. It's been a while.






0 comments: