Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Bor Pian, Wa Si Arh Nei Gai

I spent ten very irrelevant minutes explaining the concept of "malu" to my students yesterday because I was determined to use that word. I eventually got them to understand the word, but I don't think they understood why they were being made to understand it.

It was just so I could joke during tutorial, "Don't worry, there are no wrong answers, you'll only malu yourself."

The 'lahs' and 'lohs' are already back, and I didn't realise I had stopped censoring my auxiliary Singlish terms till my students kept giggling at all the lahs.

You may be glad to know the above didn't take place in my English classes - although I did have to do some serious damage control when the phrase "also can" slipped out without me realising it.

Evidently, you can't take the lah out of me.

0 comments: