Monday, December 15, 2008

Eid-ul-Azha, 2007

Taken a year ago. Yes, it took me a year to get around to editing the others. Jess has nothing to say for herself. Posting this in lieu of this year's event, during which I spent my time cooped up at home engaged in other forms of productivity.

Well, let me just reassure you that when it comes to the sacrificial slaughter of cows -- nothing much has changed in a year.


Eid-ul-Azha, 2007


This was during the time when I still lived in Zigatola. I had asked for permission the day before to take pictures of the sacrifice of this particular bull below. I saw him the night before, and silhouetted by the glow of a single tungsten light bulb, he was absolutely magnificent.

I found out the next day that the sacrifices were pretty much a public event and permission wasn't really required.


Eid-ul-Azha, 2007


The sign on the gate is an announcement for people to come sign up for driving and singing classes.


Eid-ul-Azha, 2007


The photo belies the true size of the animal. If I may be so indulgent to post a photo I had posted a year ago so as to make a proper comparison between the size of its hooves and human hands/feet:


Eid


Watching the sacrifice through the lens of my camera, I do believe I was somewhat sheltered from the situation. I told my friends that I would likely cry, but I didn't. I was rather unmoved by the killing itself, and the blood only bothered me because it was everywhere and I couldn't walk back to the house without wading through it. What I remember was being very impressed by the strength of the animal -- the number of men it took to bring the bull down, the number of ropes they had to use to secure it, the fear the men had as they approached it.



Eid-ul-Azha, 2007



0 comments: