Monday, November 07, 2005

On a dark and stormy night, Alvin...

Alvin's trying to be placid. And I totally support that! I am an avid supporter of placidity-niceness-all-round.

So Alvin, these are some statements for you to practice your "placid-ness" on.

1. I believe that Journalism can change the world. And Truth comes with a capital "T".

2. I believe that there is a white-picket-fences-happy-ever-after.

3. I believe that optimistic people are the smartest people around.

4. I believe in the good in people.

5. I believe that you can always trust and depend on your friends to be there for you.


For the record, three out of the five are accurate (as far as what I believe anyway). Chew on THAT.





It isn't easy, I don't need to pretend that it is.

At various points in my short life so far I always end up back at the doomsday-teenage-pessimism statement of "you can't rely on anyone for happiness but yourself".

But I think during this return trip, instead of arriving on a dark and stormy night soaked and miserable and lonely, its coming back wrapped in a neutral-beige white wrapper with a twig of wild flowers and scrawled in friendly pencil-writing.

And that really isn't such a bad thing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I believe that Journalism can change the world. And Truth comes with a capital "T". Just pay the right amount of money.
2. I believe that there are white-cushion-padded-wall-rooms in woodbridge
3. I believe that cynical people are the smartest people around.
4. I believe in the good in people. Before i turned 12.
5.I believe that you can always trust and depend on your friends to be there for you. If your friends think that you might come in useful next time.

Anonymous said...

very vanilla, but i find believing a poor alternative to knowing

1. i know the benefits of morphine
2. i know i need more doctor friends

what do u need such a long list for

Jess said...

Poor anonymouse. You must be really unhappy.

Alvin. Did you REALLY have to start the believing VS knowing thing.

Anonymous said...

You need to believe this and it is perfectly all right. I think Alvin believes it too, deep down.

Here in Baku, Azerbadjan, the media has just waken up to the fact that for one brief period they can say out loud that their president is not just one story below God, but several skyrises below ground from most people.

One big Truth? Truth is owned by someone. The biggest truth is just the one most people agree to be true.

The presence of international observervers here makes things different and the truth as well. Truth is re-negotiated.