This week I had to cancel a Ubin cycling trip and a trip to the beach because of work. Aw well.
I had dinner tonight with a bunch of ladies from one of the most famous churches in Singapore. The seemed quite nice, all of them were really quite gorgeous what with perfect skin and glowing faces.
One of them had her mother and a maid with her, since she was busy with the event, they helped take care of her little toddler son.
So it was interesting to note the following scene: At dinner time when everyone was seated at the table, the grandma and maid strolled in from a walk outside.
A couple of seats remaining, everyone was tucking into the food already. The grandma sat down carrying the toddler. There was an empty seat next to the grandma. The maid looked around, looking a bit awkward with all the barang she was carrying, not too sure what to do.
Without an invitation from anyone, and I think she wasn't sure if the extra seat would be needed for the toddler (as opposed to Grandma's lap), she just slowly, confusedly, walked out of the restaurant.
She really didn't seem to know what to do.
I looked at the mom and the Grandma. Both of them just looked and stared in the general direction of the door when the maid exited, as if looking to see where the maid went, and resumed eating their meals. I had half expected on of them to call out to her.
Beside me, on either sides, were another two empty seats. Perhaps, the maid felt uncomfortable having to squeeze by people to get into the opposite side of the table.
When we left earlier, I saw her sitting with the pram outside the restaurant, looking a little stoned out.
And now, I'm kicking myself for not offering a seat.
I overheard one of these church ladies call some people their "clients" and I'm wondering, in a church context, what on earth "clients" could possibly refer to.
No comments:
Post a Comment