Saturday, July 30, 2005

Revamp, remake, readjust, reconstruct, re-do.

The sites that have been rendering me into girlish fits of giggles in the dead of the night should be visited by all.

Born on the Ninth of August

The "Very Uniquely Singaporean Blog" got some video clips which I'm sure most of us has already watched.

But here are the more specific links, for the:

1. Cloudywind's National Day Dance MTV (rightclicksaveas)

(highly recommended that you view the Original clips first. Who's a better dancer? Stephen Chow or Taufik? Close fight man. Let's see what becomes of poor Rui En after this.)

Regarding the original video, what's up with that multi-coloured phoenix-like weirdo bird that keeps flying around? Is that our country's new logo? Lion, Tiger, Orang Utan and now Phoenix issit.


2. The NKF Affairs I and II

(Damn funny lah. Although i seem to be the only one to think so.)
(Lars: Erm. National Kidney Foundation controversy recently about the CEO being paid too much and using public money to do what was considered too extravagant stuff for a so-called charity organisation. The Peanuts references is due to a comment made by our ex-prime minister's wife that a pay of S$600,000 was considered "peanuts".)

(Rewatched the clip. Tony Leung is just......... *sigh*.)

3. Tak Giu

I couldn't watch it in Bangladesh due to the supremely fast connection, but I just did. Haha. Not exactly a really good production, but the Singlish was thoroughly enjoyable lah.

(Lars: It's about local soccer, in a mixture of Mandarin and dialect. The accents are about as accurate as u can get LISTEN AND LEARN)


------------------------------------


Note: Cat does not seem perturbed by loud nationalistic music despite close proximity. Put forth that either cat is damn bloody lazy, or music is soothing (worse?)

What do you all think about this year's National Day video ah. Don't state the obvious like, song sucks, singers sucks etc lah.

Let's see... this year they protrayed (breakdown included because I am damn free):

1. Weird-ass bird badly superimposed over typical nighttime Singapore skyline
2. Young vibrant youths dancing outside old Supreme Court dressed in Hip Hop/Funk clothes
3. Typical scenic sunset with romantic couple walking
4. Breakdancing
5. Youths/Teenagers playing basketball
6. International and local kindergarten kiddos
7. Factory workers
8. Weird-ass bird fly over Raffles Statue
9. Weird-ass bird fly over PSA cranes
10. Weird-ass bird fly over Changi control tower
11. Weird-ass bird fly over ShentonWayish buildings
12. Malay boy playing Chinese chess with old Chinese man
13. Graduates flinging caps
14. Smiling factory workers
15. S-League
16. Series of Happy Family shots
17. Youths dancing in subwayish MTVish shiny metal place (unable to identify what type of look they were trying to achieve)
18. Office 9-to-5 workers looking happy and dancing
19. RuiEn and Taufik looking "glam" in front of some shower of gold sparkly things
20. Weird-ass bird flys across sky

Erm ok. I tried to think of more stereotypes they can include to round up the happysmiley package, and they forgot:

1. old people chatting at HDB voiddecks
2. people getting married


That's about it I think.


I reject the video based purely on intuitive emotional responses, in the sense that I refuse to identify with it or allow myself to feel "happy wholesome feelings" which I'm sure the filmmakers were trying (desparetly) to evoke.

Which is stupid, really, because how can you find fault with all the cliches listed above. You can't say "NO that's not true" because they're all kinda quite accurate.

But the lie is in what we DON'T see, which is really stupid to find fault with because I mean, it's a NATIONAL DAY video.

So it all comes down to the same reason = the utter denial of shit = the kitsch.

Hiyah, I think I will forever be regurgitating anything that came packaged by the government. That's just a terrible attitude.


-------------------------------------------


After I kao bei about something about GoFar, Cherian said something which made me feel a bit shocked.

He said, that journalistic curiousity is not a selfish sort of interest, (he was addressing something like my worry about exploiting subjects for the sake of stories), but a curiousity put forth for the public.

Not for yourself, but for the public. "The public's right to know"...

I think 6 months of not having done commercial journalism made me forget this very fundamental thing about journalism.

So I was shocked because I indeed had not been thinking about my "audience". I don't know how I forgot about them... but I think was too carried away by my stories or subjects to care about who was supposed to be reading about 'em.

But then the problem is - what if I don't give a shit about the public?

Then wrong profession already right?

Hm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.archive.org/details/godboxone

the video u looking for... abt 100+mb was still working when i downloaded...

u owe me curry for this

Anonymous said...

"In the public interest" is whatever any journalist argues it to be. And also the most abused thing in the world of free press. I imagine the people shouting this point the loudest are the ones insisting that (1) facts about Beckhams bedside manner is newsworthy and (2) really do not give a shit about it themselves, but still have to make a living from stories like that.

Really I wish you'd never heard about it. Forget the audience. The rest is just "holier than thou"-shit and mostly for no purpose but to get the job done then and there.

Or?

Anonymous said...

And completely necessary at the same time. But I doubt you need it as a defense for making your stories.