Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Desky Tales

Wah almost 10 days since my last post. Times sure have changed since Banglaland eh.

Finally got around to clearing my desk that has really been more of a shelf... even an iBook needs some breathing space. So armed with my newly created desk space.

I like my desk. Or table. It was scavanged years ago from the rubbish dump downstairs by my parents. In all their karang guni spirit, they have already lugged home a considerably number of items, including the sofa set in my living room. (That could be from another dump elsewhere.. my memory fails me).

Regardless of the usual implications that may be drawn from the previous paragraph, I must caution you to hesitate before making hasty judgements about a family's financial status based on what they decide to bring home. Let's just say that they have never brought anything back that looked like it actually belonged in a dump. Singaporeans do get sick of things quickly.

But yes, my desk. Very old school, solid wood, two drawers and two mini-cupboards (what's the name for those things??). I can barely remember the last time I actually sat here proper to do some work.. but images of JC maths are seeping into my head.

On a whiteboard propped against the wall in front of me, I have a collage of photos in front, JC classmates, scenary shots, and a blackboard from hall in First Year with my all-time favourite quote that I have yet to memorise so as to be able to quote it accurately:

"We have come to think of taking offence as a fundamental right. We value very little more than our rage, which gives us, i our opinion, the moral high ground."

I suppose the quote mattered more back then, when dealing with a highly combustible ex-boyfriend - but well we do get fond of things for all the wrong reasons.



I also have an Outward Bound sticker from Sec 3, a Mr Bean bear keychain, a set of pretty pretty purple butterfly stickers (just so pleasant to see), a Polly Pocket necklace-toy-thingy from my goodness eons ago, a flute from Bangladesh, a mini carplate with my name on it between "Queensland, The Sunshine State", and most recent of all: my cat's appointment card with the local vet.

No prizes in the designing/decorating department that's for sure. Very unlike some of the more "spiffy" rooms.. maybe even considered "funky" ... nevermind... that i've seen thus far.

(no prizes for creativity of title of blog either but tsk who's counting)

But yeah it's all a nice feeling.



Now i'm going to lift up surface of the middle portion of my desk (isn't it just sooo old-school) and see what kind of barang i had chucked in the last remaining storage compartment... very rarely used since it involves removing everything on top before I can actually open it.

I will grab a tequila (I love dfs), then you can assualt me, memories!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After you've become president I am sure your desk will be preserved for public enjoyment. The Lim-Library. Oh my God! I've gone completely Lim! They will say....and walk by in awe and amazement.