Friday, August 05, 2005

Hokkien

I've become addicted to the Ji Pa Ban (One Million Dollars) Hokkien song that Mr Brown advertised a few days ago.
I don't know why lah, but I really like speaking in dialect and hearing others talk in it. Although half the time I keep saying the same sentences, and my greatgrandma/grandma/ma would probably not look too kindly at my constant butchering of the pronunciation - I still like it.

Made my dad (Malaysian-made Hokkien, mind you) listen to it, and he was laughing and telling me how he used to sing this in the police quarters with his friends (probably all NS boys) when some guy kept playing it on repeat.

And well, I'm hokkien too, but I can't quite differentiate between Hokkien and Teochew, and I only know how to speak the latter. Kinda the same, thankfully, so at least I can get the gist of the song (but without the chinese words i'm totally lost).

若是我有一百,萬一百萬
我有一百萬
一世人就輕鬆
無講無人知
講到真歹勢
吃甲彼呢大漢
擱不曾坐飛機
打拼彼多年
無車無厝擱無愛人
看人娶某擱做生意
有錢擱有勢
Chorus:
若是我有一百萬
我要坐飛機
我要遊世界
HAWAII曬太陽
日本吃壽司
Chinese on my blog (old school summore) haha first for everything.
For Lar's benefit, since I like this song so much, here's the (not so literal) English translation:
If i've got a million dollars, a million dollars
If i've got a million dollars,
Don't say then nobody knows
Say already then very shy
Eat until so big already
Yet never sit airplane before
I work for so many years
Still no car, no house, no lover
See other people get married and do business
got money and got success
Chorus:
If I have got one million,
I wanna sit on a plane,
I wanna explore the world,
Hawaii to sun bath,
Japan eat sushi
Hahahahahaha. =)

No comments: