Tuesday, September 06, 2005

"You call yourself a free spirit, a wild thing, yet you're terrified that somebody's gonna put you in a cage. Well, baby, you're already in a cage and you built it yourself. And it's not bound on the east by Somali Land or on the west by Tulip, Texas. It's everywhere you go. Because no matter where you run, you're always going to end up running into yourself."
- Fred darling
I heard it once a long long time ago when I was 12 or 13, and again when I bought the DVD last year. I always find it amazing how words can strike at you so differently - a different chord, a different resonance.
I asked around a lot about what kind of music people listen to when they're sad, and till today I've yet to find someone who does the same as me - I drag out the happiest, teeny-boppiest, chirpiest tunes I can find. Which is not strange to me, because why the FUCK do I want to make myself feel worse, but people say they listen to sad music when they're sad because it has a sort of carthartic effect. I've tried it once - and it did not carthartic-away anything. And the irony of it all, which was the point of me starting this ramble, is that it just so happens the tunes I like to listen to in a normal state of mind has been frequently labelled as "depressing" and "morose". So my whole point is, do not judge a person's desire to wallow in depression by the music they typically listen to. Methinks its all a tad bit misleading. I am NOT stupidly masochistic, however I may appear.

No comments: